Under the direct supervision of the Head of Field Office (HFO), the Assistant to the HFO performs a variety of administrative and office support duties related to the HFO’s activities and representative duties, administrative services related to programme management and supports the flow and management of information within the Office. In this context, the incumbent will:
• Manages the agenda of the HFO including scheduling of appointments, receiving visitors, supporting communications (phone, email and other) and prioritises workflow through the HFO Office and distribution of information throughout the office. The assistant makes travel and hotel arrangements and prepares travel authorizations/ claims for the HFO and facilitates participation of National Commission for Viet Nam and government counterparts to national, regional and global UNESCO events.
• Initiates and processes a variety of contractual and administrative documents including follow up and timely completion of impending actions. Uses word processing, spreadsheets and presentation packages to produce a wide variety of large, complex documents and reports, including formatting more complex letters, reports, technical documents, speeches, presentations and other material. Proofreads documents and edits texts for accuracy, grammar, punctuation and style, as well as for adherence to established standards for format.
• Provides secretarial, administrative and logistics support to meetings of the HFO with government, UN and other partners, including preparation of invitation letters; compilation and distribution of working documents and other materials; preparation of minutes; and providing informal transaltion and interpretation from Vietnamese to English. Liaises with UN organisations in the preparation of meetings and events. Supports HFO participation in UNCT, OPFMAC and SMT meetings. Supports internal senior staff meetings.
• Maintains and updates electronic and paper records/files and tracking systems (e.g. information databases, mailing lists, participant lists, correspondence, contracts and budgetary information); ensures the proper establishment and closure of files and safe retention of same; ensure timely processing and response on requests and correspondence.
• Additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.
- Secondary, technical, or vocational school completed.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in secretarial and administrative functions.
- Knowledge on how the Government system functions, in relation to the incumbent’s working area;
- Strong analytical, problem solving and organizational skills.
- Good IT skills (word processing, spreadsheets, etc.).
- Very good knowledge of English.
- Desirable qualifications
- Relevant specialized training/certification in the field of secretaries and office management.
- Some knowledge of the UN system / diplomacy is an asset;
- Knowledge of Viet Nam’s culture and capacity to use this in a multinational context;
- Proven strong interpersonal, communications and negotiation skills;
- Knowledge of customer service and events management;
- Efficient, service-oriented, reliable, polite, diplomatic, firm, committed, capacity to multi-task and strong care for details.
How to apply
A letter of motivation in English indicating qualifications and experience relevant to the position, together with completed UN Personal History form (P11) and supporting documents.