The role reports to the Finance Director & supports the FD and General Manager to discharge his / her accountability in creating an environment where risks are actively managed, and controls, compliance and ethics are at the heart of the business. This enables Diageo to continue on its journey of being one of the world’s most trusted and respected companies.The individual will be responsible for providing in-market leadership to deliver Diageo’s global controls, compliance & ethics programme. This includes a robust in-market CARM process, local ownership and application of the Global Risk Management Standard, oversight of management of potential breaches of the Code of Business Conduct and global policies, and coaching to all members of the market leadership team. This requires a thorough understanding of the strategic, financial, compliance, reputational and operational risks faced by the market, and a willingness to apply a lens of Diageo’s values (as expressed in our Code of Business Conduct and key policies) and risk appetite to everything we do.
Top 3-5 Accountabilities
- Support the Market General Manager in discharging his accountability to adhere to Diageo’s governance ‘non-negotiables’. This includes ensuring appropriate governance mechanisms operate in market, regular identification and review of risks, having a structured and demonstrable programme of training, management of the Annual Certification of Compliance process, management of potential breaches of the Code of Business Conduct and global policies, and ensuring performance is measured and rewarded in a holistic way.
- Drive the embedding of Diageo’s global Risk Management Standard – Lead the risk management processes within the market, including management of key governance meetings. Ensure effective mitigation plans are developed and implemented, and apply a risk lens to other areas of business activity, including a focus on financial reporting, compliance and ethical risk mitigation.
- Deliver all aspects of Diageo’s Controls Assurance and Risk Management (CARM) process to provide robust assurance over the business control environment, including risk based scoping of controls to be assessed and tested, oversight of design assessment of controls, oversight of control testing, issue resolution, and reporting of relevant insights to senior management to allow them to discharge their reporting responsibilities. Functional leadership may be required to improve controls performance.
- Champion “doing the right thing” and ensure the business leaders adopt positive steps to develop a culture of integrity in their businesses. Challenge existing ways of working and ensure controls and compliance remains a key business priority.
- Reporting to global management – Provide robust and independent reporting to global management on controls, compliance and ethics performance to allow the second and third lines of defence to fulfil their oversight accountabilities.
- Experience gained through a professional background in risk management, controls improvement, internal or external assurance or compliance and ethics working within a multi-national environment.
- Legal or accountancy qualifications (preferred but not essential) or other professional qualifications.
- Excellent communication and influencing skills.
- Perceptive and appreciative of different countries’ cultural differences.
- Experience of working in ‘virtual teams’ with colleagues in different functions and locations.
- Strong project management focus and ability to proactively manage own workload.
- High level of personal integrity, and proven ability to ‘stand tall’ under pressure